COVID-19 Public Health Emergency is set to expire on May 11, 2023. The US Government has indicated that they do not intend to renew it.
What does this mean?
- The public health emergency has allowed the government to provide people with Covid-19 tests, vaccines, and treatments at no charge.
- Now that the Public Health Emergency is ending, these COVID tests, vaccines, and treatments may not be covered. And even if they are covered, patients may have to start paying a percentage of the cost in the form of a copay. The good news is that most insurances will continue to pay for vaccines at no charge. The same cannot be said about At-Home COVID tests.
How can we help?
- Before this Public Health Emergency ends, you can come into the pharmacy and get At-Home COVID tests free of charge (usually covered by insurance). Also, in the event you have not gotten your full series/booster of COVID vaccines, it’s a good time to complete this. Currently at GVP you do not need an appointment to get your vaccine. Call us to see if are eligible for COVID vaccine.
Did you know that our pharmacists can prescribe the COVID treatment Paxlovid?
- In the event you are having COVID symptoms you can test at the leisure of your home. You can also come in to our Larsen-Mayer or Racine locations and get tested at no cost while the Public Health Emergency remains active.
- If you have a positive test and your symptoms started not more than 5 days ago you could be eligible for Paxlovid treatment therapy which can reduce the severity and duration of your illness. This is something we can prescribe if you qualify. The pharmacist will need to review your medication list and lab workup within the past 12 months. Just give us a call for more information!